Tuesday, September 16, 2008

This post is written on behalf of my sister.

A few weeks ago her 3 year old foster son, the child she was about to adopt the following Monday, lit a small fire in her kitchen while she was using the bathroom. At the time, her foster son was watching TV in the livingroom and she did not think it would be a problem if she closed the bathroom door for a quick few minutes.

When she got out of the bathroom, he was still sitting on the couch, so she felt good that all was well. Unfortunately she found out a little later on that he had gone into the kitchen and quickly lit something and threw it in a drawer.

This could have happened to anybody.

The agency immediately took her son away. She is heartbroken. This child has been in her care since he was 4 months old. He was a crack baby. She spend most of his baby years rocking him as he painfully withdrew from the drugs his birthmother so carelessly put into his body as he was being formed.

He has behavioral problems, but he also is the exact opposite - he is the most loving, kind, playful, adorable, cute as a button boy you'd ever want to meet.

He is a part of her family and ours. Now he is somewhere, we don't know. He just celebrated his 4th birthday without her, without his friends, without anyone familiar to him.

And she's heartbroken. It is going to take at least a year for her to fight to get him back. The agency is saying that she should not have left him out of her sight for those few minutes. She is a single mom and has an older daughter that she adopted.

What she wants is for a family to adopt him now, so that he wouldn't be shuffled around from foster home to foster home.

If anyone knows of a family that would love a beautiful boy, please contact me at:

thuth@hotmail.com

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Oh wow! There are so many other reasons to remove a child from a home that are important. When my brothers built a still under the house, they didn't get taken away...they did get in trouble however.

Crazy...just crazy. I pray for your sister to have God's peace and a clear head to know what to do...blessings

The Farmer Files said...

This post broke my heart. I really, really wish we were in a position to help.

Susan said...

No mother can have their eyes on their children at ALL times, single mother or not. It sounds like the foster care system needs to rethink the fact that she was providing him a good and loving home and there aren't many people out there that will volunteer to do that.
I used to work in a child abuse shelter when I was in high school. I worked with the babies and know how hard and heart-wrenching it is to care for a baby that was born addicted to crack or cocaine. My family adopted one of the babies that I worked with from the shelter. Like your sister's foster son, he had/has his struggles as a result of the addiction, but he is also the most loving, patient person at times. Someone willing to love a child with these ups and downs should be honored and not beat down by a system that is obviously poorly run and managed.
Please pass along to your sister that our family will keep her and her foster son in our prayers.

Dawn said...

The system is so broken - as well as many of the other systems! This is so incredibly sad. If I had to keep my eye on all these little grands every second of the time I have them, well, I can't even go there in my mind! That is absolutely asinine!

nancygrayce said...

I'm so sorry both for your sister and for that little boy who probably has no idea why he's been taken from his mommy! It makes me so angry! When my son was about 3, he took a little stick out of the fireplace and started the carpet on fire!

I'll be praying that someone comes to their senses and gives that little boy back!