Sunday, October 26, 2008

I Understand Now

Sometimes I forget that I have medical issues.

I go about my life acting and thinking that I'm just like everyone else...I can do anything physical, I can stay up late and not get enough sleep and I can eat anything that comes my way - even though I had half of my colon removed five years ago.

And sometimes it all catches up with me as my body screams, "ACT YOUR AGE NOT YOUR SHOE SIZE!!!".

[My shoe size is 5. Add a zero to that and that will be my age in December.]

I thought I could go on the Sacred Heart Diet - where eating lots of veggies and fruit helps you lose weight fast.

I was good up until the third day where you are instructed to eat all the fruit and veggies you can all day.

I had some fresh pineapple for breakfast, vegetable soup for lunch and as I was ferrying across the Sound (NY to Connecticut) I enjoyed an apple. Apples do not digest for New York Babe.

The pain was not unlike being in labor.

I stopped the diet, and when all was said and done I had lost 7 lbs.

And since I wasn't allowed to drink my usual few sips of Pepsi in the morning, for the first time in my life I tried coffee.

I have never in my entire life drank a cup of coffee.

Why have I waited all this time? I don't know, but I liked it.

And after a few sips I felt like my eyes were bigger than ever.

And just think of all the new possibilities:

I can meet friends for a cup of coffee.

Whenever I stop in at a convenience store I can go to the coffee counter with all the cool people.

I can invite people over for coffee.

So I have learned many important things about myself during this diet. And I will be more aware of how I take care of myself.



9 comments:

Linds said...

And 7 lbs lost is wonderful! Welcome to the coffee-drinkers' world!

come dine with me said...

...so when are we doing coffee [/kawfee/ to those uninitiated to my DiL's accent]?

RR Mama said...

7lbs---WOW. I bet the pain was worth it when you stepped on the scale. I couldn't function with out my morning coffee. I used to hate it, but loved the smell. Now I just doctor it up with vanilla creamer and I am good to go. We should totaly plan a coffee get together once my house is back together!

someone else said...

As a fellow size 5 shoe wearer, I offer my sympathies. Do you have a difficult time finding affordable shoes in your size? I certainly do. For some reason the stores don't think women have small feet anymore.

Welcome to the world of wonderful coffee! I hope you're drinking it pure and black.

Nadine said...

I'm sorry you had that trouble with the apple. Ouch!

7 lbs is great! Good for you.

Welcome to coffee heaven. I love the stuff.

Dawn said...

Coffee - I would like the sociable-ness of it, but cannot stand the taste - but like the smell - mostly.

Sorry about the painful apple experience! Wow - thanks for letting us know about your physical challenge - but I think I really need to try that diet! I hope you can keep the 7 pounds off.

Merrily Down the Stream said...

Coffee Good!
Lots of Coffee Bad!
I am a total addict.
And happy b-day a little early -
I'll be 49 in a few days...
When you turn you'll have to let me know..

nancygrayce said...

Good nite! 7 lbs! Not worth the pain though. My sister wears a 5 shoe too and she can hardly find her size. She can get a heck of a deal on children't shoes though!

The Farmer Files said...

So glad you took time to stop and smell the coffee!! I am putting up a coffee giveaway today! Ohhh I am glad you quit the diet, but 7 lbs....wow that is a lot of sticks of butter. ;)