Friday, August 29, 2008

True to Form

I survived the commissary trip, though the Navy guys barely did.

First I had to find the right gate to get the proper sticker for my truck. I asked a nice uniformed, armed man how to get there and he wanted to know my husband's rank. Just like that.

I thought that was a bit intrusive of him yet I answered.

Well, the royal treatment is what I got.

He sent a young soldier to walk in front of me as I followed in my truck to the correct building to get a sticker. I thanked the young soldier and wanted so badly to ask him to 'drop and give me 20', just for the fun of it, but I held my tongue.

My husband could care less about ranks, he has got to be the most down to earth person I've ever met.

After waiting on a small line, I got to meet another Navy guy who was very helpful with the stickers.....all four of them. He showed me how to assemble them on the counter and told me where to put them on my windshield.

IT WAS VERY CONFUSING!

I asked him to show me again and he gladly did.

But when I got outside to my truck, I accidentally ripped one of the important stickers in half. I put it on anyway just like that. There was no way I was going to go back in there and let them know that I was the ditsy wife of someone they obviously had a lot of respect for.

My husband laughed when he saw my truck and told me that I was going to have problems getting through military gates with the torn sticker on my windshield.

Anyway, the commissary was amazing!

It is a grocery store with everything a regular grocery store has, except the prices are really low. And, to my amazement, I was able to buy our favorite orange juice without having to take out a second mortgage.

And there was a mall upstairs! And they sold Coach handbags! And designer shoes! And a food court!

Yes, it was all worth the stress. I just hope they let me back in next week.

No comments: