Thursday, January 31, 2008

Crazy...

When my children were younger, much younger, our weekends were jam-packed with nothing much actually.

We lived in a suburban town on Long Island, NY and I was going to college and co-running a cleaning business while my children were in grade school. During school nights we would do our homework and study together at the kitchen table. So when the weekends came, we hung out together, did chores together and had some of their and/or my friends over for a simple day of hanging out and dinner.

My children are grown and on their own.

Last month I moved to a different state.

Things have changed.

Here in this small, one traffic light, rutal town where Capt and I live you'd think life with children would be more simple.

You'd be wrong. Very wrong.

It seems like everyone here with children, including Capt, runs themselves crazy on weekends with sports practices, sports games (sometimes 5 on one Saturday), birthday parties, dances, play dates, etc. There doesn't seem like there is enough time to relax and hang out together.

And chores, how do they ever get done? I'm all about the cleaning.

Running around after Capt and the kids is exhausting, so exhausting that by Saturday afternoon I'm most likely to cry "Uncle" and retreat to my house for a few hours where I clean, do laundry and cook....then light a fire and read a book. They just leave me alone and continue on with the madness.

Adjusting to this new life has been more difficult that I expected. I'm having my moments of home sickness and empty nest syndrome.

And my new job, let's just say I have to have a new attitude about it. I'm working on it.

Whoever said "be careful what you wish for", knew something.

And yet, my dreams are all coming true and I'm loving all this.

6 comments:

someone else said...

Changes and homesickness are hard to deal with when they happen at the same time. I've been in that situation before and I thought I was going to curl up and die. But I made it, and life moved on, and dreams did come true. Be good to yourself.

nancygrayce said...

Change is hard, even good change. When I married and left my little townhouse and started over with two more children and a wonderful husband, I sometimes thought i needed a place to retreat. I guess it is a normal thing! It sounds like you're able to set some good boundries though.

Dawn said...

I often think kids have too many activities - no time to just BE.

Lala's world said...

it's amazing what an attitude adjustment about our jobs changes things! it did for me, it is getting easier...day by day..it will for you too! somehow I think you have the stuff to make it all work and work well!!

Nadine said...

I'm so glad things are working out for you.

rena said...

Change is hard....usually manifests in conflict, which then points the need for more change and on and on it goes...but you're doing a remarkable job staying balanced on the merry go round...

Have missed you BTW...sorry I've been away so long...will TRY (being the operative word) and visit more.